Thursday, November 26, 2009

Why Read the Bible? - Part 4

A Final Exhortation

I'm not exactly sure how to describe this, but over the last few weeks, one thing has been made clear to me, and it is this: as I surrender and turn from my own will to do things my way, and fall on my knees in full submission to the Lord, not only is my affection for His Word and my desire to pray dramatically increased, but it is as if a veil is removed and I am able to see the beauty of the Lord and joyfully behold his glory. My former way seems like silliness, like a mere trifling, and I long for this "clearer vision" to sink deep within my heart and soul and take hold of my will. I suppose it may also be important to note that this "clearer vision" and "awe" I experience is so easily snatched the moment I get up and begin to navigate through life's affairs. But the point is this: the Word of God is useless to us if we are seeking to go our own way. But it is the great teacher to the man who seeks the Lord and all his ways.

This makes sense, I suppose, but I find that we often try to find ways to improve our "devotional life" without first repenting of going our own way, and surrendering all we have to God. It is part of our sinful nature to want to go our own way.

So of all of the additional things I could say about why I or any other Christian should read the Bible, my final exhortation is to repent of going your own way. Without this, you will read the Bible for the wrong reasons, twisting scripture and using it for your own agenda. Repent of this before anything else.

God is not silent, for He has spoken through the prophets and apostles, and most of all speaking to us in the form of God and man, Jesus Christ our Lord. Read the Word, that "you may be filled with the knowledge of his will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding, so as to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to Him, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God." (Col. 1:9-10)

No comments: