Friday, January 22, 2010

7 Rules of Negotiating

I'm in the process of filing all of these loose sheets of paper lying around, and I really didn't have a place for this scrap of paper with Dave Ramsey's 7 Rules of Negotiating scribbled on it. So, I figured it'd be better to file it away online. We don't officially endorse these rules-- some of these tactics may come across as rude and unloving, depending on the situation, and we don't want to do that! Nonetheless, these can also be helpful:

Dave Ramsey's 7 Rules of Negotiating:
  1. Always tell the truth. One note on this, sited from Tom Stanley's "The Millionaire Next Door", was that the #1 characteristics of millionaires was that they had fanatical levels of integrity.
  2. Use cash. We actually tried this when we bought our couches. Seemed to help.
  3. Use walk-away power. In other words, do not emotionally attach yourself to the item. The salespeople have to feel they're "losing" you...
  4. Shut up. Ask a question, gather information, and remember that silence is powerful. Good question to ask: "Is that price firm?"
  5. Use the phrase: "That's not good enough." (This was made famous by Henry Kissinger)
  6. Go to the authority. When you're not getting anywhere, say, "I'm sorry. I made a mistake-- I thought you were qualified to negotiate. (Something tells me Ramsey could say this more effectively than me. I'd probably get kicked out of the store...)
  7. Use the "If I" technique. Example: "If I were to _____, I would need to ____." Have patience with this.
A couple of notes I jotted down were:
  • You must know where to look for the deals
  • Trade for something
  • Deal with individuals
Do with that what you may, but now I can throw away my piece of paper, so I'm happy!

No comments: